Braids and Healthy Ends

Question:
How do I moisturize my hair while in Kinky Twists?
Advice: While wearing braids our main goal is to retain some, if not all, of our growth. Right? Well, leaving braids in for a few months is an excellent way to retain length, however; if not done correctly, it can do more harm than good!

When I used to wear braids, for 2-3months at a time, I was excited to relax my hair to see how long it grew, unfortunately my ends were always in bad shape resulting in me getting a massive trim. I then ended up where I started :( I never understood the problem until years later....my ends were LACKING MOISTURE!!

While in braids, we often pay attention to the scalp because it's visible and it's been embedded within us that the scalp is the "most important" when it comes to hair care. Truth be told, we fail to realize that our ends (raveled in the braid) need the most care. Yes, the style is easy to maintain and yes you are giving your hair a rest, but you cannot neglect your hair underneath.

I'm a firm believer in moisturizing braids 2-3 times a day since the braid hair has a tendency to draw moisture from the hair (you have to work harder in putting moisture back into the hair). Make sure you saturate the braid from root to tip. Moisturize the length of the braid all the way down to where your hair ends, within the braid.

The best/easiest way to moisturize your braids is with a spray moisturizer (i.e. Scurl No Drip Activator, Sta Sof Fro Spray or Africa Best Braid Sheen Spray with Conditioner) or make your own (i.e. Water & Glycerin mixed with a moisturizing leave-in conditioner, Aloe Vera Juice, Glycerin & Coconut Oil) and put it in a spray bottle.

Don't forget to spray the length of the braid, not just the scalp. Protect and keep your hair underneath healthy!

Sunshyne